Sunday, January 31, 2010

African Nations Cup...


I'm at the UN bar, working on a fourth of my computer screen after dropping it and now only that much of it working to fill you in on my first week of teaching. It went really well....it's a lot of work trying to teach students without the use of a book...but it's going. And it's easy when the students really want to learn. I don't really give them homework, since if I wanted to it would take almost all of my 45 minutes to write the problems on the board and for them to copy them. But I did give them the pages we are going over, and they can go to the library and check out a book and do the practice pages. I started off in every class telling them that it doesn't help them if only I care about their education. I leave in 6 months, and when I'm gone, then who would care about their education....I told them they have to care and do everything they can do to make their schooling better. I did have one kid do extra work and ask questions about it...which made my day. A class of mine told me on Friday that they liked my teaching, since it's more interactive than a typical Liberian education. I like talking...for all who know me, and it's no different in class..I don't want to write on the chalk board, with my back to them. I want them to interact with me, do problems together, make mistakes and know that it is ok, we are learning, there will always be mistakes, on my part and theirs. I do like teaching...having kids who want to learn makes it even better. Is this what I want to do with the rest of my life...probably not, but it's a good place to start. I've come to realize that I'm not meant to live in just one place, or do just one thing. I like my environment to always change, to constantly having to learn a new way of life...I love making new friends and discovering how good I am at networking...

On to Networking...Here's my guide to it....
1: Always talk to everyone...even the security guards, they will help you out and make sure you get what you want.
2: Laugh when given a marriage proposal...Last weekend, I had one from the guy I went to go watch the game with. All I did was laugh and say that he was funny...no need to actually give an answer, NO, but isn't laughing can make the situation better, I still need him in my network cause he's one of the guys in charge of the computer labs I use.
3: Smile and wave to all of the women and children, they might not have a "powerful" job but they know the ins and outs of everything and will help you along the way.


*This is more of what not to tell Peace Corps, that soon I'll be trying my hand at the helicopter ride the UN has from my site to the capitol. PC said I wasn't allowed to take the UN plane, but never did they mention a helicopter ride, plus they said not to abuse it...it's not abusing if they offer...right? Plus PC can't say no if I don't ask.

Since being here, I've hungout with a lot of ex-pats, not so many Liberians. Most of the women always have work to do (plus we don't have a lot to relate to, I'm just not a girl, I think like a man, I love sports!) and the men my age tend to propose marriage to me. Thus leaving the kids...We really only have one neighbor, so I hang with those kids. At the moment, I'm teaching them blackjack...it's good for their math skills, counting and statistics. I'm going to make gamblers out of them soon enough.

But the ex-pat community is good, small but good. I have a Pakistani food mess that I go to, it's only 2 dollars a meal and really good. Though most of them are muslims and it's their way, but they don't shake my hand...I've had my hand refused a couple of times...it's just something I have to get use to...so now I'm employing my head nod/bow, THANKS KOREA! I still need them to know I respect them and want them to be kind to me.

Well that's all for now...I miss home and everyone there, I miss AC, my cat, making money and the snow. But I have a new life and I'm getting used to it, and soon enough, I'll be loving it..,even more...Though I do get my full 9+ hours of sleep each night!

The picture is of me, my roommate and our counterparts. You are only going to get one at a time cause it takes FOREVER to download just one picture with my internet connection....It's worse than DSL, but I do get it in the bush of Africa.

1 comment: