Monday, January 11, 2010

Monrovia, Liberia, West Africa


Well I made it to Liberia yesterday. It’s poor like El Salvador, so far, their houses are better, almost all I’ve seen have been cement, and VERY clean. Where as in El Sal trash was everywhere, but here I haven’t run into that problem yet. Getting into the local customs you discover that doing basically anything with your left hand is a sign of disrespect, i.e. giving or receiving anything with you left hand…all should be done with your right. MUST REMEMBER RIGHT HAND!!!!

As for the convent…I haven’t even run into a nun yet…so no really damage has been done. And if any were to happen it would have to take away from my sleep, which I soooo desperately need! I take naps wherever I can get them. This jet lag is horrible, we didn’t have any time to adjust and this evening we are going to have to watch a movie about Liberia…cool and all but I’m pretty sure I will pass out once the lights go out.

Another thing I learned today…I will get to have the opportunity to have wireless in my site. I will buy something from a cell phone company and get to use it anywhere! I’m thinking, as long as it’s not more than 50-60 a month, then I’ll get it. That way I’ll be able to keep in touch with home, family and friends.

We will find out our sites by Wed or Thurs, so at that time I will know who I will be living with for the next 6 months…which there really is a short list of people I would want to live with…Now on to the people, there are a total of 17 of us…5 girls and 12 boys, I’m liking these odds! =) There are two main groups here, the group that got evacuated from Guinea and those of us who are Response. It’s kind of weird how it all divided up, but it did…should be interesting to see who I’ll be paired with…hopefully people I can stand to be around for long periods of time…

No comments:

Post a Comment