Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Day 4...feels like forever


I've only been here 4 days but I swear it's been longer...Can time really go by so fast and slow at the same time? Tomorrow I will find out which classes I will be teaching...I'm hoping that there will only be 3 or 4 different classes...Here's hoping!!!

Today I went around to all of the local primary schools, that would be K-9th, and introduced myself to the principal. I have discovered that my two Peace Corps experiences were very different, in El Salvador the people needed help but didn't really want to do anything to help themselves...Here in Liberia, the people need and WANT our help. I don't think I will have a single moment to myself here, I'm already planning a teachers training for the younger grades and will be spending my afternoons being a tudor to anyone that wants it...hopefully these kids will take advantage of it and come. Thinking about starting a girls soccer team, to help empower the girls here...a lot of them don't finish school, I would say in my 12th grade classes there would be only 25% are females. It's really quite sad, for a country who has the FRIST WOMAN PRESIDENT IN AFRICA to lack so much in education for rural girls...MUST DO GIRL POWER, maybe they just missed that whole late 90s Spice Girl bit

I've made a handful of friends but my favorites would be my neighbors, James, DeeDeeh and Winter...5, 8 and 10...they are good fun and help me with my chores and I pay them in fruits and hugs.. =)

More things I've learned...
1: When carrying water on your head, make sure the UN water truck sees you so they will feel sorry for you and supply you with potable water
2: Say you have a boyfriend so people would stop asking me why I wasn't married or have kids
3: Go Come Back...it's a saying here and it sounds just like what it is...we can't do it now, go and come back after sometime...
4: How to cook eggplants, some potato like thing and sweet potato leaves, and make it taste not too bad
5: How to carry a little African boy on my back like the mothers here do

No comments:

Post a Comment