Saturday, January 16, 2010

My new site, Voinjama!


After 8+ hours of driving, we finally made it to my site, Vionjama. I don’t have electricity but I can get the internet, most of the time. Hopefully I can use the electricity at the school to charge up my computer almost everyday.

Liberians are very friendly and love Peace Corps. Almost everyone over the age of 30 has had at least one PCV taught them. I am liking it here so far. I’ve meet a handle full of teachers and town members…will be meeting more shortly. The temp is nice and at night its chill. And my town has a shit ton of UN soldiers…I’m just saying and don’t worry I’ll keep you posted =)

Some things I’ve learned…
1: A man can’t put his hands in his pocket if he’s not wearing any pants…
2: The Liberian hand shake…though I need some more lessons
3: Being big is beauty here
4: I need to stay out of the sun to prevent wrinkles…
5: Their club beer isn’t too bad after several

2 comments:

  1. Haven't you learned your lesson about "soldiers" yet? I mean you can get other dudes in the sack that will at least leave you a Benjamin on the nightstand afterward. I was going to add that no alcohol is too bad after several...but I do believe that Soju tastes worse with every drink. Doesn't stop me...but it does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bad tasting alcohol has never stopped me before either....

    ReplyDelete