Sunday, February 7, 2010

Feb..Black History Month!


Another week down in Liberia. Had a great week teaching, though I did end up a little discouraged. After giving my classes a test and less than a handful knew it all. It was a little sad. So I changed my questions around, to were they didn't have to infer anything and my last class did a lot better. So I now know that they can't really infer things from the knowledge that they know. So that will be my next step. I think in patterns, it's easy for me to see something and link it to something else. The liberians here can't seem to do that. They can't even read a graph and interpret the information from that graph. I thought it was just common sense, but I guess somewhere along the way I learned how to do that. Maybe I will teach them that...but I don't know, they Geometry is hard enough and next they want me to teach them Trig. Who knows...

This week has been good. Got to hang with a handful of other Peace Corps volunteers, it was nice. Drank a lot, like we do in PC and bullshitted a lot as well. It was nice to have a little taste of home. Tonight I invited the Fijians over for dinner. The one takes real good care of me and my roommate, so we wanted to return the favor. Tomorrow we are having curry, Thanks Fiji!

Since it is the dry season here, the water pumps are starting to run low and the women at the pumps are not happy with these two new arrivals from America. A lot of them bitch to each other about us, but I play the blonde card and just pretend not to notice/understand them. I just smile and say thanks. We only got like 4 little pales of water from the pump. It's difficult when you don't get to go everyday cause you are busy. A lot of times they don't really understand why we can't seem to get enough water or why we only go there every once in awhile. For them, this is there job, for us we really don't have time during the day to get it all done, all the chores that Africans have, we don't have anyone doing them for us. Though after talking things over with the roommate, we are talking about getting a girl to come over and sweep and mop our house for us.

Well I'm off to watch the Super Bowl, got a TV and a place that will hopefully stay up/have enough energy to last for the entire game! Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment